Happy New Year Bloggers.
I don’t make New Year resolutions. I feel too guilty when I renege on them, so I will make it a prayer today.
Lord help me live my life and blog more fearlessly in 2015.
Now that is out of the way, I need your help to evaluate my blog.
Did you ever suffer from confidence issues about your writing or your blog? How did you overcome or tackle these?
It’s said that the blogging life of new bloggers is very short and a great number of new blogs fail within the first three years. As comments trickle in and long gaps emerge between posts when I receive no notifications, I too have faced the spectre of my own demise. Lately I’ve been asking myself whether it’s worth continuing this blog. I have even begun to doubt my ability to write. I scrutinise the blog to see it with my readers’ eyes, but there will be always a blindspot that you can’t see past in your own work.
I have read the blogging pundits and taken WordPress classes and tried to apply the guidelines. In and out of WordPress forums, I have spent time supporting other bloggers in the community by reading and commenting, yet it is all too easy to feel alienated. I don’t feel a part of a writing community sometimes. My readership is not growing as I would like, and my comment boxes remain predominantly empty.
I also hear ‘guest post, guest post’ as the way to build readership, but I panic at the thought of writing on someone else’s blog.
I know there are several areas in which I need to improve. I am not certain if it’s my subject, my writing, or whether the problem is that I need to focus and tweak my niche or target audience. I know I am not very consistent. I don’t follow a blogging schedule or all too often do not stick to my promises to write what I say I will write. I sometimes don’t take enough time to proofread and let the post sit for a day or two before publishing, so some errors escape. I let posts sit in drafts forever instead of cleaning or completing them so can be pressed.
I’d like to make an effort to find all the holes in my blog as I step into the new year. So if you can find some time, could you answer these questions for me?
1. What do you like about my blog? What was your favourite post?
2. What do you think I should improve or change to win over new or win back my readers?
2. If you were running my blog, how would you make it pop?
3. What makes you connect with a blog?
4. What more can I do to connect with my readers?
5. I’ve tried all the marketing tactics for getting more comments on my posts. Still it doesn’t generate the feedback I expect. What tips that work for you could you share with me?
6. Does it really have to take years as the blogging pundits say to build a blog from scratch?
Thank you for your constructive feedback. Happy Blogging in 2015!